Our latest topic of conversation at the PSR Forum was sustainability and creating an eco-friendly campus. The reps asked their teams for ideas of how we could be as green as possible. We then discussed these ideas at the Forum and a few important themes emerged.
Here are a few that came up in our discussions:
- Making sure we have plenty of easy to use recycling facilities
- Improving the cycle route between Guardbridge and St Andrews
- Encouraging colleagues to bring their own food to work with adequate facilities for heating and storing home cooked food
- Building on the edible garden project and creating outdoor seating
- Encouraging car sharing and making the policies around this as clear as possible
- Using the bus for business travel (keep an eye out for more information on this soon!)
Another interesting theme that emerged was the role that Smart Working can play in creating a sustainable workplace.
Grouping meetings together to minimise travel, the availability of communications software such as Skype for Business, reducing printing where possible and allowing working from home days can all help to minimise our impact.
In related news, the tender process for the travel plan is now complete and I can announce that Peter Brett Associates (PBA) have been appointed to take forward this important piece of work. Our contacts from PBA will join us at the next session of the PSR Forum to introduce themselves to the reps. If you have any questions or thoughts you’d like to add, please do pass them on to your unit rep(s).
PSR Project Officer